Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tribute and Aspiration

My ninety-six year old grandfather is ailing. He is the patriarch of our family, my only surviving grandparent and one of the most magnificent men I have ever met. He is a Jesus follower, poet, nature lover, gardener, carpenter, brother, father, grandfather, great-grandfather. Reams could be written and not scratch the surface in describing this deep man. Mr. Rogers carried the following quote in his wallet as a reminder of what kind of man he wanted to be. My grandfather embodies this. Without any further comment:

He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much, who has enjoyed the trust of pure women, the respect of intelligent men and the love of little children, who has filled his niche and accomplished his task, who has left the world better than he found it, whether by an improved poppy, a perfect poem or a rescued soul, who has never lacked appreciation of Earth's beauty or failed to express it, who has always looked for the best in others and given them the best he had, whose life was an inspiration, whose memory a benediction. ~ Bessie Anderson Stanley

3 comments:

TropicGirl said...

Aw! What a sweet tribute to Grandpa. I pray he can hold on until I get home. You're right--he's quite a man!

Anonymous said...

I went and saw Grandpa yesterday. I was talking about that it was the 27th the same date "Grandma was plastered". Just made me kind of chuckle to hear Grandpa's description!

Anonymous said...

Oops. Grandpa was talking about it being the 27th and the day Grandma was plastered. NOT me.